Advertisement for a Laboratory Technician
We are a world class diagnostics and research-intensive institute. We deliver clinical diagnostics, genetic counselling, teaching and R&D of the highest quality. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Laboratory Technician to work within our clinical diagnostics team. The role will provide an opportunity for you to gain experience in clinical research, in particular- cytogenetics.
You will play a key role in conducting cytogenetics lab work and liaise between diagnostics, administration and leadership teams. You will have the opportunity to work with various techniques and sample types that are part and parcel of a cytogenetics lab. You will also have the opportunity to teach visiting students about genetics.
You shall have a BSc or an MSc in biological sciences i.e. biotechnology, genetics or medical genetics. You will support the conduct of ongoing clinical and R&D activities within the institute.
- BSc or MSc (or equivalent) in biological sciences i.e. biotechnology, genetics or medical genetics.
- Previous cytogenetic laboratory experience for atleast 1 year (Desirable)
- CSIR-NEET or GATE qualified (Desirable)
Attributes and behaviours
- Entusiastic and hardworking
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills
- Team-working skills
- Basic computing skills
- High level of personal organisation
- Courteous and kind
- Willingness to undertake work outside of normal working hours
The Person (Essential knwoledge, skills and experience)
- Understanding of cytogenetics and chromosome architecture
- Previous presentation of work at scientific meetings (Desirable)
- Previous research publications (Desirable)
- Conduct rotine clinical diagnostic activities: including but not limited to cell culture, harvesting of cells, karyotyping, FISH, data entry and reporting.
- Support R&D activities
- Participate and develop specialised R&D activities inlcuding ongoing and newly designed cytogenetic assays
- Regular liaison with the leadership team and senior laboratory team members of the clinical diagnostic team to discuss ongoing labwork and next possible steps
- Duration: Full time, fixed term 1 year
Application portal for this position is now closed.